Who is this for?
NPQH is suitable for candidates who are highly motivated to become a Headteacher, no more than 18 months from applying for headship. Candidates must pass the gateway assessment before applying to Outstanding Leaders Partnership. Please visit the register tab to find out more.
NPQH provides recognition of leadership development and professional achievement for anyone aspiring to be a Headteacher. Trainee Heads have access to high-quality learning materials and accounts of practice from outstanding leaders, will reflect on their own leadership through discussion with peers and put theory into practice continuing to improve their own leadership in order to have a greater impact within their institution.
The qualification has a flexible combination of blended learning and support opportunities that includes face-to-face sessions, online learning, leadership learning groups, personal tutor, peer support, coaching and school placement. Candidates will complete three essential and two elective modules. Modules cover three learning areas: educational excellence; operational management; and strategic leadership. All focus on improving the effectiveness of leadership practice.
Trainee heads are required to complete three assessed tasks demonstrating that they can deliver successful and sustainable improvement in their school or setting:
- Task 1: leading school improvement priority in own (or agreed) school
- Task 2: leading school improvement tasks, working in partnership with the placement school
- Task 3: case study and presentation/interview
NPQH is assessed and accredited by the National College for Teaching and Leadership.
How is it delivered?
Trainee heads are expected to completion the qualification within a 12 month period. Trainee headteachers benefit from:
- five face-to-face training events
- five online courses working alongside peers1
- termly face-to-face and online coaching sessions
- regular online conferences to support and complement learning
- access to two 360° leadership skills diagnostics
- support from a nominated in-school mentor
- facilitation and coaching from serving school leaders in outstanding schools
- a nine-day school placement (identified according to location, phase and specialism)
- mobile enabled virtual learning environment enabling flexible access to course resources and support community
- option to accrue Credits and Transfer Scheme (CATS) points to contribute towards a Master's degree
The qualification is delivered at high quality venues throughout the North West with candidates assigned to their most local group. We aim to make delivery as flexible and accessible as possible for our candidates.
Below is an interactive map showing the locations of groups we have already run (click OLP groups in the top corner to zoom to locations):
View OLP Groups in a full screen map
Our aim is to locate candidates in groups that are no more than 30 minutes’ drive from their home. Where this is not possible candidates will be notified and offered their most convenient group.
1. Online courses take around 15 hours per course and cover a 4 week period. The courses provide learners with a pathway through the modules and are made up of case studies, online discussion, accounts of practice, opinion pieces and work based investigation.
What does it cost?
The Outstanding Leaders Partnership is providing a £300 scholarship for the first 40 eligible1 registrants. Making the fee payable £1,950.
Scholarships will be deducted automatically from the fee outlined below.
School type Fee payable All state-maintained schools and academies £2250* Independent/Overseas Schools £2250 + assessment fees
*Final assessment activity will be funded for all candidates from English state-maintained schools and academies.
The application deadline has now passed for NPQH to start in Spring 2017.
We would like to wish good luck to everyone who submitted an application and we look forward to working with you.
Applications for Autumn 2017
The application gateway will reopen in summer for NPQH Autumn 2017. If you are interested in applying for NPQH Autumn 2017 and wish to receive course updates then please register your interest by completing our contact form or calling 0117 920 9424.
For further information please call 0117 920 9424 or send us an email via our contact form.
National Professional Qualification for Headship (NPQH)
NPQH is the first choice qualification for anyone aspiring to be a headteacher. The qualification focuses on the key skills needed for headship and meets the highest standards for leadership development anywhere in the world. NPQH is a high bar that will challenge and develop talented leaders from all backgrounds who can deliver educational excellence in a self-improving system and high quality outcomes for pupils and students.