National Professional Qualification
for Leading Teacher Development (NPQLTD)
For teachers who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading the development of other teachers in their school.
Lead the Development of Teachers at your School
Awards 30 Master's Credits
Oversee Staff Development & Improve Outcomes for All
Apply for Autumn 2023
National Professional Qualification (NPQ): Leading Teacher Development
NPQLTD gives candidates all of the essential knowledge, skills and concepts that underpin successful leadership of culture and behaviour with candidates learning how to:
- Contribute to the creation of a culture of high expectations across the school
- Support the development of a positive, predictable and safe environment for pupils
- Support pupils who need more intensive support with their behaviour
- Align professional development priorities related to behaviour and culture with wider school improvement priorities
- View the NPQLTD programme tab for the full programme content
What are the benefits?
In recent years, Outstanding Leaders Partnership has grown into a nationwide network of 165 schools, multi-school organisations, dioceses and university partners. The extensive expertise and diversity of our partner network allows us to develop rich, phase-specific, programme content which is delivered and facilitated by local experts in local schools.
Our NPQ candidates benefit from:
- Facilitation and support from serving school leaders in outstanding schools
- Purpose-built virtual learning environment enabled for mobiles and tablets
- Delivery at local venues
- Guaranteed support to pass the final assessment
- Content contextualised for your locality and updated to reflect national developments and legislation
- Regular progress updates for mentors and headteachers
National Professional Qualifications (NPQs) for International Schools
Outstanding Leaders Partnership began delivering National Professional Qualifications (NPQs) to international schools in 2018. Since then, thousands of international schools colleagues have completed our prestigious qualifications, helping them to become more effective school leaders.
The majority of our international NPQ candidates complete the qualifications through our remote online delivery model where the face-to-face elements are delivered via interactive facilitated webinars. International face-to-face NPQ delivery is also available, please contact us for your nearest group. If you would like to host NPQs in your school or schools group then please visit our partnerships page.
Remote Online Delivery for International Schools
For colleagues working in international schools, we are able to deliver the National Professional Qualification for Leading Teaching (NPQLT) entirely online.
Participants access the qualification resources through our award winning Virtual Learning Environment, Canvas, where they engage with international schools colleagues from around the world to discuss the resources and collaborate to complete the various tasks.
NPQLT candidates will attend 3 face-to-face events if they choose to complete the programme via the blended delivery model. Our international delivery network allows us to bring face-to-face training to a school near you and facilitated by local school leaders (please contact us for international locations).
Candidates access online learning and support via our virtual learning environment (VLE) Canvas. Through Canvas, candidates are able to engage with their peers, access multimedia content and submit work for assessment.
Online-only Delivery Model
NPQLTD candidates can choose to complete the programme via our online delivery model. This delivery model replaces the face-to-face events with facilitated webinars as well as extra tutor support and study packs.
The DfE’s NPQLTD framework is based on a robust method of design and development, building on the evidence base and expert guidance already established in the ECF and the ITT Core Content Framework. The NPQ frameworks reflect the Teachers’ Standards and Headteachers' Standards to ensure coherency with the requirements already used by the teaching profession.
Please see the NPQLTD Framework below. If your computer or device does not support the Adobe plugin you can download the framework pdf here.
Who is this for?
National Professional Qualification for Leading Teacher Development (NPQLTD) – For teachers who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading the development of other teachers in their school. They may have responsibilities for the development of all teachers across a school or specifically trainees or teachers who are early in their career.
Leading the development of other teachers is complex. Although the role varies, many of those leading teacher development who will take this qualification are considered to be part of the middle leadership team. They may indirectly manage a team of mentors or coaches and their work is focussed on supporting initial teacher training, early career teachers as well as the wider development of all colleagues across the school.
To be eligible for the NPQ, applicants must:
- Have full support from their school/organisation. A head teacher, member of the SLT, line manager or Chair of Governors (or similar authoritative role) must confirm their support and that all information submitted is true and correct. This is a Department for Education mandatory requirement.
Outstanding Leaders Partnership require that applicants should also be able to demonstrate:
- QTS and/or QTLS and/or a Level 5 (or higher) qualification in any subject, and/or an international equivalent
- Either 2 full years’ experience of teaching following achieving QTS/QTLS
- 2 full years’ experience in current role following completion of Level 5 (or equivalent) qualification if in a non-teaching/pastoral role
- Aspiration / have responsibilities for leading the development of other teachers in their school
If you would like to discuss the above criteria or believe you are suitable but do not suit all criteria, please do contact us at NPQ@bestpracticenet.co.uk
What does it cost?
NPQLTD International costs £1250 plus VAT where applicable. VAT is chargeable on courses funded by private individuals.
We are now accepting applications for the Autumn Intake of the International National Professional Qualification for Leading Teacher Development (NPQLTD).