National Professional Qualification
for Executive Leadership (NPQEL) - 2022
Congratulations on being invited to apply for a fully-funded place on the NPQEL this Autumn!
As the headteacher of a state-funded school, the Department for Education has agreed to fund your place on the National Professional Qualification for Executive Leadership (NPQEL) starting this Autumn. The funding comes by way of a scholarship which covers the full cost of the NPQEL including a hotel stay and dinner at the first Face-to-Face event.
Before applying, please ensure you are be able to demonstrate:
- QTS, QTLS, a Level 5 (or higher) qualification (any subject), or an international equivalent
- Experience as a current serving headteacher (or equivalent role) with a minimum of 3 years’ experience
- Aspiration or experience, to be Executive Leaders with responsibility for leading across more than one school / organisation
Simply click the button below to register for NPQEL and we will apply for the scholarship on your behalf.
The NPQEL content is delivered across four development stage cycles that include face-to-face events, online study, a formative assessment task and leadership performance coaching. The context focus for each cycle aligns to each of the content areas identified by the DfE and their sequencing across the delivery cycle has been carefully crafted to ensure depth of study and time for most effective reflection and review by each participant.
As you complete the programme cycles, you will work with your Leadership Performance Coach (LPC), your face-to-face facilitators and, importantly, your peers to learn how to:
- Establish and sustain a school group’s strategic direction
- Establish and sustain an effective culture across the group
- Encourage the sharing of effective feedback policies between schools
- Oversee an approach that ensures all schools assist pupils who need more intensive support
- Ensure the SEND Code of Practice (2015) and Equality Act (2010) are effectively implemented across all schools
- And much, much more!
We are proud of our satisfaction ratings for NPQEL and receive great feedback from current participants and our alumni, many of whom have gone on to gain promotion within their MAT or other schools group. We have collated some of the feedback below so please take a look to see what our NPQEL participants are saying about the programme.
We believe it is crucial that NPQEL participants know exactly what the qualification entails. To that effect, NPQ Programme Director Yvonne Gandi recently hosted an NPQ webinar with special guests including a representative of a TSH and one of our NPQEL alumni.
In the webinar, which can be viewed below, Yvonne introduces the Outstanding Leaders Partnership and then takes an in-depth look at the Leadership NPQs (NPQSL, NPQH and NPQEL) as well as focussing specifically on NPQEL. We advise all prospective NPQEL participants to view the webinar below to get a full understanding of the power of this qualification and the enthusiasm of our NPQEL delivery team.
The NPQEL framework is based on a robust method of design and development, building on the evidence base and expert guidance already established in the ECF and the ITT Core Content Framework. The NPQ frameworks reflect the Teachers’ Standards and Headteachers' Standards to ensure coherency with the requirements already used by the teaching profession.
The NPQEL Qualification Specification details every element of the programme and can be viewed below or downloaded here should you wish to share with your line manager or school improvement officer.
Completing NPQEL is a huge achievement that requires a significant investment in time and effort. As such we advise all participants to follow these steps when applying:
• Discuss the NPQ with your line manager, school improvement officer or chair of governors. What are your goals? How will the NPQ benefit your school and pupils?
• Contact us with any questions about the qualification
• Apply now!